Thursday, July 30, 2009

Re-purposing Household Items

I love to take items from around my home and see how many different ways that I can use them. The picture above is from our first apartment and if you notice the candle garden on the left, the base is actually a bamboo plate that I found on sale at Kohl's. I then bought sand and put the candles on it. That bathroom was a beach theme and this look worked and came out very inexpensive. Currently, I have that plate and the candles with river rocks arranged on it.
Another item that can be used for more than just its purpose is a mirror. I love mirrors because they reflect light and add an interesting element to a room. I like to prop them on shelves at different levels, behind lamps, candles, etc. I also love to use a good mirror as a tray for decoration or for food service. It makes for an interesting display, especially if you have a group of collectibles that you would like to display but they look cluttered on their own. Display them on a mirror and it automatically unifies it.
Another great item to re-purpose is a wall sconce. I love to use these for their original design, but if I have a pretty or unique one, I also like to use them for decoration in a unique way. For example, I was given a pair of "Sassy" wall sconces (Southern Living at Home) for birthday one year. I am using one as a shelf for a display in my kitchen, but I have the other one turned over on its flat side and I am using it for sheer decoration. As a side note, if you are not familiar with Southern Living at Home, their items are great for using for multiple purposes. Check out my consultant's site if you would like to see more and tell her you read about it on here. The site is www.southernlivingathome.com/amiep. You will love what you see.
Anyways, another item that is great for multiple purposes is a glass hurricane. Normally, these are used for candles, but you can put fruit in them, stones, sea shells, arrange beads around them, or even include a small vase with flowers inside it! I have even seen these used as decorative extra toilet paper roll holders.
One more item that I love to use for different purposes is decorative cups and vases. I like to use cups (typically glass or ceramic) that have an interesting pattern or shape for holding pens, make up brushes, toothbrushes, my husband's razor, or tubes of beauty supplies. I recently found a bathroom glass that had some chips on it at TJ Maxx that had a pattern that matched my bathroom for around 50 cents. I bought it and it is currently holding my makeup brushes and eyeliners.
So, look around your house and get creative and see what you have that could be used for different purposes and even save you money from having to go out and buy something!

No comments:

Post a Comment